Urban Camping Adventures

Chronicaling experiences about professionally camping in urban places as a couple of GenXers launch a new interactive business in Atlanta, GA - from the "She Said - ITP" point of view. Also check out "Adventures in Urban Camping" for the "He Said - OTP" version hosted by FK

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Making the Rounds - Free Everywhere You Go

The past few weeks have been a blur – building pitches, concepting ideas for co-promotions and UCing left and right in all kinds of places around the ATL. Yes, FK actually got me to go OTP a few days –what was I thinking??? Although I have the advantage of an opposite commute up 75 at most times of the day, it’s still like a pilgrimage to some foreign country without a passport. I did check out the Caribou on Windy Hill – have to say pretty darn good spot for the passing URBAN CAMPER…although the space is small, it does have a quiet working spot in the back with a big table and lots of plugs within easy reach. I settled in nicely for a couple of hours sipping on my “Kid’s Cocoa” that I snagged thanks to Caribou’s customer appreciation promotion I received in the mail. It’s a bit tight, but the staff is extremely friendly and with ATT wireless access it gets a “3” on my scale of 1-5. Of course, having a coupon for a FREE anything might have influenced my vote…I’d be willing to go back out there if FK ACTUALLY meets me this time :)

Now, the Starbucks at Tech Square in Midtown is a whole other experience. Those people know what it means to market. My client and I met out their AGAIN for some CO URBAN CAMPING a few weeks ago. We were surrounded by many other URBAN CAMPERS heads down working and soaking up the brainwaves. After she left, I kept crunching through work…I was continually hit up by the friendly staff with samples of the tangerine frappucino…then a few minutes later the passion-fruit frappucino (liked the tangerine better)….then a few minutes later with coffee cake (I think it was from the morning, but still decently tasty)….then another round pf the passion fruit frappucino (I’m full – really). I swear you could hang out there all day and easily get 3 full squares of tasty delights from those Starbucks people. Definitely a place to keep on your list when the grocery stockpile at home is low.


No place is truly immune from our URBAN CAMPING prowls – just last week my boss CK and I found ourselves in the food court at Perimeter (okay – he had to have a Chick-Fil-A biscuit) crunching away on final preparations for a pitch we were delivering that morning. Not what you would likely imagine as an ideal URBAN CAMPING spot…but with my Sprint wireless AirCard, decent cell reception and a sturdy table – we had the basics needed to accomplish our task. The pitch was a success and I have a feeling that we will be back giving ole Chick-Fil-A our undivided attention sometime very soon. I just learned that “Cow Appreciation Day” is this Friday, July 14th -
http://www.cowappreciationday.chick-fil-a.com/ with a free combo if you dress up like a cow. Unfortunately, would you believe I don’t have anything to wear??? I do think you should at least get a biscuit if you wear one of the outfits featured in the microsite and definitely free lemonade if you bring in a digital picture of you and a cow. We’ll see what the cows have to say about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home