Urban Camping Adventures

Chronicaling experiences about professionally camping in urban places as a couple of GenXers launch a new interactive business in Atlanta, GA - from the "She Said - ITP" point of view. Also check out "Adventures in Urban Camping" for the "He Said - OTP" version hosted by FK

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Its As Good A Starting Point As Any

If someone had told me that in less than a year I would transform from corporate road-warrior “schlogger” to be one of the Starbucks day-crowd elite, I would have told them to keep inhaling their tall double skinny latte and asked how much they had tied up in Enron. Seriously, does one just wake up one day from having to commute to a staid and predictable corporate campus or the less than delectable weekly air-travel de jour…and become a deliberate patron of the urban mobile workforce? Well, it wasn’t exactly what I had in mind back during those earnest college years when like most people I knew it was all about following the PLAN and working one’s way slowly to the top just like my parents. But then something called the INTERNET happened to my generation (X by the way for those of you paying attention) and all bets were out the window. “Mobility” and “work-from-home” quickly became the norm and I was swimming against the tide. My peers and I soon realized it wasn’t just about working hard; it was more about taking risks and working smart. It took a while to let go of all I thought career life was supposed to be…but after nine months I finally got it – I was meant to be an URBAN CAMPER.

Shortly after coming to this conclusion, I realized how truly liberating this highly misunderstood professional species is and decided it was time to set the record straight. Just who are these people that you see at Starbucks, Caribou Coffee or any other public lounge spot at 10:16AM on an average Wednesday anyway? They couldn’t possibly be there on purpose, daily, actually conducting business, could they? They must be on some fanciful work hiatus, or dare say slacking off? Well, this blog is to give you the real back story on the 21st century URBAN CAMPER – everyday people who are carving out the American dream in a truly exciting and brand new way. Many of us are creating entirely new businesses and my colleague and I of course are no exception.I recently accepted an opportunity to help launch a new digital marketing company right here in Atlanta, GA – sans cube, sans supply room and most everything else you come to expect and depend on from a job- until now. Together, my urban camping cohort and I will chronicle our experiences in building an exciting business in one of the best areas of the U.S. – the SOUTH. Through both of our blogs, we’ll provide a real-world "He Said/She Said" view and a few practical tips along the way…so pick up your ergonomically correct laptop backpack, grab your Espresso Macchiato and welcome to “Urban Camping Adventures”!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home