Urban Camping Adventures

Chronicaling experiences about professionally camping in urban places as a couple of GenXers launch a new interactive business in Atlanta, GA - from the "She Said - ITP" point of view. Also check out "Adventures in Urban Camping" for the "He Said - OTP" version hosted by FK

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Follow the Madison Avenue Road to 57th

Well, I just couldn’t resist staying over an extra day in Manhattan. The sales guy, Lance, twisted my arm to spend more time at the Mothership (although not hard) after he pulled me onto a new business pitch for a very cool media and entertainment client based in DC. So after pulling a few strings with AirTran (www.airtranairways.com) (sorry Delta), I rebooked my commuter airbus and opted for another “homey” night at the Hotel Pennsylvania (www.hotelpenn.com) to hang with my new team compadres. Actually, there was a unique opportunity for us to scope out the potential client’s target market right here in the Big Apple that I didn’t want to pass up.

Fast forward to 8:42AM on a bright and sunny Manhattan morning as I’m flip-flopping my way down Madison Avenue (I had to purchase something to wear since I camped over – Old Navy rocks with the turquoise flip-flops I got for $3.50 - www.oldnavy.com) and make a left onto 57th to meet up with Lance and two other adventurers from my team. What could draw us out in the middle of Midtown on a Thursday morning…how about a “fan walk” with two notorious “shock-jocks” from one studio to another? Our client’s brand and the promise of what we could do to optimize and grow it online inspired us to band together (minus Toto) towards the metaphoric Emerald City.

Would you believe that a pretty hefty group of Americans actually take time at the beginning of their day to join three middle-aged white males who think they’re hilarious on a mile urban broadcast? Well, they really do. We spoke to several to get their insights on both the fascination with the jocks as well as our client’s brand and product. While, nothing we heard was a major a-ha moment – I came away impressed with the community aspect that was quickly created by walking the streets, spot interviewing with local color and drawing your fan base – this should be replicated online. That is what the INTERNET and MOBILE LIFESTYLE represent – no reason our client shouldn’t fully capitalize on it. Although, I personally did not get the so-called “humor” that was imposed on the folks in the “Pick a Bagel” at 9:26AM…kind of like when relatives you really don’t want to see, much less show up, stay and visit at your home. I hate to say, but I think the PAB crowd there would be in agreement with me. Hmm, maybe these dudes missed their morning expresso. Next time, I’ll hit Starbucks and bring them a shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home